Monday, March 3, 2008

Hamentashen

For my first recipe, I'm going to post a recipe for Hamentashen. You typically eat these cookies at Purim. This year, Purim falls on March 20, but I thought it would be fun to go ahead and make these cookies with the kids today. I've never made them before but it can't be that hard. Instead of the traditional prune filling, I'm going to use cherry and apricot (because that's just tastier). I'll post pictures of the finished product later tonight. Also, I can't remember the site that I got the recipe from, but it does seem to be in a lot of places on the 'net, so it can't be that bad!

Hamentashen

3/4 cup stick margarine (not tub)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp lemon zest or splash of lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
cherry pie filling (or any fruit preserves)
2 1/4 cup flour
drops of water

Cream margarine and sugar together. Beat in lemon, egg and vanilla until combined. Slowly add flour and salt. Beat in drops of water, just a few at a time, until dough comes away from sides. Put dough in a large plastic bag and form into a disc. Chill for 2-3 hours or up to 2-3 days.

Roll dough to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 3-4 inch circles using a glass or cookie cutter. Spoon 2 cherries and some filling (or small scoop of preserves) into the center of circles. Fold up sides and pinch corners into a triangle. Sprinkle cookies with a touch of sugar. Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.

Here's what they look like when done. They probably could have cooked about 1 minute longer, but they were tasty. I probably put a little too much filling in them since they fell open on one side. Doesn't change the taste, though! Mike took off with all of the apricot ones, leaving 2 cherry ones left this morning!



Enjoy!
-Barbara

No comments: